Exotiska växter i Skandinavien

Eucalyptus poisoning soil? (I) *LINK* *PIC*

Seven key issues on Eucalyptus and alelopathy
Or seven reasons why stating eucalypts poison soils is mostly... bullshit

Gustavo Iglesias Trabado Contact GIT Forestry Consulting
GIT Forestry Consulting - Consultoría y Servicios de Ingeniería Agroforestal - www.git-forestry.com - EUCALYPTOLOGICS

We frequently receive inquiries at EUCALYPTOLOGICS from concerned gardeners, horticulturalists and even
Eucalyptus timber plantation owners in regard to the widespread notion of these trees "being poisonous to the soil" and "dangerous for understorey flora". Today we hope to help throw some light over this myth.

Giant Eucalyptus camaldulensis and understorey at Inca Botanical Garden, Malaga, Spain, by Dan Anderson, Exploring the World of Trees, a Tree Species Blog / Eucalipto rojo gigante y sotobosque en el Jardin Botanico Inca de Malaga, España, por Dan Anderson, Tree Species / Gustavo Iglesias Trabado / GIT Forestry Consulting, Consultoría y Servicios de Ingeniería Agroforestal, Lugo, Galicia, España, Spain / Eucalyptologics: Information Resources on Eucalyptus Cultivation Worldwide / Eucaliptologics: Recursos de Informacion sobre el Cultivo del Eucalipto en el MundoFig. 1: Healthy understorey plants growing under an Eucalyptus tree. Image courtesy Dan Anderson, www.tree-species.com (Click image to enlarge)

We picked this example to ellaborate on this particularly interesting topic due to the excellent conditions of this tree as evidence of myth being myth. Approaching one hundred years old, the giant E. camaldulensis at Inca Botanical Gardens has had enough time to deplete and poison the soil around it. Doom predictions would say nothing could be growing near it for more than 50 years. Then why a healthy understorey of bromeliads, palms and lush subtropical plants is thriving under this evil Eucalyptus?

Inlägg i den här diskussionstråden: